Oregon Uniformed Services & Disabled Veterans Information

Uniformed Services Members

Definition of Uniformed Services

"Uniformed Services" encompass the following:

  • Army
  • Navy
  • Air Force (including Space Force)
  • Marine Corps
  • Coast Guard, and their respective reserve components
  • National Guard or Oregon National Guard
  • Commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • Public Health Service of the United States Department of Health and Human Services when detailed with the Army or Navy.

Resident Status Waiver

The requirement for an individual to have resided in Oregon for not less than six months to be considered a resident is waived for Members of the uniformed services of the United States who meet any of the following criteria:

  1. Are permanently assigned to active duty in this state, along with their spouse and dependent children.
  2. Reside in this state while assigned to duty at any base, station, shore establishment, or other facility in this state.
  3. Reside in this state while serving as members of the crew of a ship that has an Oregon port or shore establishment as its home port or permanent station.

Nonresident Members of the Uniformed Services

Nonresident Members of the Uniformed Services are required to obtain a valid nonresident hunting license. However, nonresident active duty members of the uniformed services enjoy certain benefits, including:

  • The ability to purchase licenses, general season tags, and permits at reduced rates.
  • Paying nonresident tag fees for controlled hunt tags and being subject to nonresident tag limitations (5% for deer and elk).

Tag Sales Deadlines

Active duty members of the uniformed services with Oregon resident status are allowed to purchase their general season tag after the deadline.

Uniformed Services Active Duty Controlled Hunt Tags

Oregon's active duty members of the uniformed services stationed outside of the state have the opportunity to obtain controlled deer, elk, or spring bear hunt tags while on leave during the season. To qualify for these tags, the individual must be an Oregon resident currently stationed outside of the state.

To purchase the tag, active members of the uniformed services must provide the following information to the local ODFW District office responsible for issuing the tag:

  • A copy of an active duty military ID.
  • A copy of current leave papers to document they are currently stationed outside of Oregon.
  • A valid Oregon resident hunting license.

Tags will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning March 1 for spring bear hunts and July 1 for deer and elk hunts, until the authorized number of tags have been issued.

Tags may be issued for the following types of hunts:

  • Spring bear hunts, controlled deer or elk hunts with a bag limit of "antlerless" or "spike only," that have a minimum of 20 tags.
  • Controlled deer or elk hunts with a bag limit that allows buck deer or bull elk with two or more points on one antler, not counting the brow tine, to be harvested, and that have a minimum of 100 tags authorized by the Commission.

Additional tags for active members of the uniformed services for each controlled hunt will not exceed 10% of the tag number authorized by the Commission.

Active members of the uniformed services Controlled Hunt Tags cannot be authorized for controlled hunts occurring on the Starkey Experimental Forest, Hart Mountain NAR, or Umatilla NWR.

All hunt-specific regulations for the hunt where a tag is issued will apply, and the tag recipient must pay the standard resident price for the tag. Additionally, hunters must provide harvest and effort information to the issuing office within five business days after the closing date of the hunt.

For further information and to make an appointment, please contact the ODFW District Office in the location you would like to hunt.

Disabled Veterans

Resident Disabled Veteran License

To qualify for a free resident disabled veteran license in Oregon, individuals must have at least a 25% disabled rating from any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. This license is provided at no cost to eligible disabled veterans.

Reduced Price Elk Tag for Disabled Veterans

Disabled veterans in Oregon are eligible to purchase an elk tag at a reduced price. For detailed information and the application process, please visit

Disabled Veterans Criteria for Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permits

To be considered a person with a disability under Oregon wildlife laws, a disabled veteran must provide written proof that the last official certification of record by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States shows the person to be at least 65% disabled (ORS 496.018). This certification is required to access certain disability-related hunting and fishing permits in Oregon.

For more detailed information about the Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit program, please refer to the Disabilities Hunting & Fishing Permit Information.

Active Duty Uniformed Service Members and Disabled Veteran Licenses and Tags

Here is a summary of licenses and tags available to active duty uniformed service members and disabled veterans:


Uniformed Services Hunting $17.00 $34.50
Disabled Veteran Combination (Includes Columbia River Basin Endorsement) FREE N/A


Uniformed Service Cougar $16.50 N/A
Uniformed Service Black Bear $16.50 N/A
Uniformed Service Deer General Season $28.50
Uniformed Service Deer Controlled Season $28.50
Uniformed Service Elk General Season $49.50
Uniformed Service Elk Controlled Season $49.50
Uniformed Service Pronghorn Antelope $51.50 $395.50
Disabled Veteran Elk $26.00 N/A

Please note that the fees and availability of these licenses and tags may vary for residents and nonresidents. Disabled veterans are eligible for specific benefits and reduced pricing, as indicated above.

Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.