Frequently Asked Questions: South Carolina Fishing and Hunting

Online License and Address Changes

Q: What if I didn't print my license receipt after purchasing online?

  • A: Check your email for the license information. This email or the license copy mailed to you, if requested, serves as a valid license. Alternatively, use the Go Outdoors SC mobile app to access your licenses.

Q: How can I change my address?

  • A: Change your address online at, through the Go Outdoors SC app, or by mailing the change of address form available at

License Requirements

Q: Do I need a saltwater license for shore fishing?

  • A: Yes, a current saltwater license is required for fishing from shore or boat in saltwater.

Q: How many fishing rods may I use with a saltwater fishing license in a boat?

  • A: There's no limit on rods for licensed anglers. Unlicensed individuals cannot use these rods.

Regulations on Specific Species

Q: Are mussels considered clams or oysters?

  • A: Mussels are regulated as oysters. This does not apply to freshwater mussels.

Q: Is there a specific crabbing season?

  • A: Crabbing is allowed year-round. Check regulations for size limits and license requirements.

Q: Can red drum be kept from federal waters?

  • A: Harvesting red drum from federal waters (beyond 3 miles) is prohibited.

Q: Can recreational anglers use a line with multiple hooks for crabs?

  • A: Yes, with a Saltwater Recreational Fishing License and a Trotline Equipment License.

Nuisance Wildlife and Hunting Regulations

Q: Who to contact for nuisance wildlife problems?

  • A: SCDNR provides a directory of private wildlife control services at

Q: Are there caliber or magazine restrictions for hunting on private or WMA lands?

  • A: No restrictions for private lands. For WMA lands, check Weapons in WMA Regulations for specific weapons regulations.

Q: Can I carry a handgun while hunting on an archery-only WMA with a CWP?

  • A: Yes, but it cannot be used to hunt during primitive weapons seasons.

Deer Hunting and Turkey Tags

Q: How long is deer hunting allowed during the day?

  • A: From one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset.

Q: Can I call or guide for turkey hunting if I've used all my tags?

  • A: Yes, provided you carry your tag form and a valid hunting license.

License Requirements for Youth

Q: At what age is a hunting or fishing license required?

  • A: Individuals 16 years or older must have a valid license.

Q: Do children under 16 need tags for hunting deer, turkey, or bear?

  • A: Yes, tags are required regardless of age, except on youth days. Obtain tags at SCDNR offices or online.

Camping on WMA Properties

Q: Is camping allowed on WMA properties?

  • A: Yes, in designated areas. Some locations may require a permit. Check online for specific property regulations.
Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.