Native Tennessean License

Nonresidents who were born in Tennessee may apply for the Native Tennessean annual license, granting them the privilege to purchase Tennessee hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses at resident rates. This special license is designed for individuals who were born in Tennessee but no longer reside in the state.

  • Eligibility: Nonresidents born in Tennessee.
  • Application Process: Interested individuals must apply for the Native Tennessean license. Application details are available online at
  • Cost: Annual licenses are available at the same cost as resident licenses.
  • Application Requirements: Applicants must provide relevant documentation to verify their birth in Tennessee.
  • Benefits: Access to Tennessee hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses at resident rates.
  • Application Method: Available by application only, through the online portal provided on the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency website.
  • Further Information: Additional details and the application process can be found on the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency website.

Fishing License Regulations in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

In Great Smoky Mountains National Park, all individuals aged 13 and older must possess a valid fishing license from either the state of Tennessee or the state of North Carolina. Fortunately, a specific Tennessee trout license is not necessary. The National Park Service establishes and enforces fishing regulations within the park.

Contact Information

For detailed information regarding fishing regulations and guidelines, please reach out to:

Park Headquarters

Who Needs a Tennessee License?

In Tennessee, anyone who engages in fishing activities, including the attempt to catch fish, crayfish, or salamanders, must possess a valid fishing license. However, there are several exceptions to this rule:

  • Individuals under 13 years of age, whether residents or nonresidents, are exempt from needing a license.
  • Landowners, their spouses, and children are exempt if they fish on their own farm land, provided they are residents of Tennessee. They do not need to reside on the land.
  • Tenants, their spouses, and dependent children are exempt if they fish on farm land owned by an individual or family, and if they are Tennessee residents who actually live on the land and have permission from the landowner. Tenants are defined as those who care for farmland for money, free rent, or other consideration, with an agricultural tenancy.
  • Resident grandchildren (under 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under 16) are exempt if they fish on farm land owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents.
  • First cousins who jointly own farmland are exempt, along with their children.
  • Individuals on military leave, provided they carry a copy of their leave orders. A pass does not fulfill this requirement.
  • Residents born before March 1, 1926, are exempt if they carry proof of age and residency to show to a wildlife officer, if requested.
  • Free Fishing Day, which occurs annually on June 10th, exempts all individuals from needing a license (see Reciprocal Agreements).
  • Free Fishing Week, from June 10th to June 16th, allows all children ages 15 and younger to fish for free (see Reciprocal Agreements).

Lost Your License?

If you've misplaced your fishing license, including lifetime licenses, don't fret! You can easily access, email, and print your license from your computer at no cost. Simply visit anytime to retrieve your license.

Additionally, if you prefer a physical duplicate, you have options. You can purchase a duplicate hard card online via our TWRA mobile app or from our license agents for a fee of $8.00. Just remember to verify your address at the time of purchase to ensure accurate delivery.

Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.