Surrendering a Permit

Dedicated Hunters

If you are part of the Dedicated Hunter program and decide to surrender your permit, you must return it to the Division before August 19, 2023, which is the opening day of the general-season archery deer hunt.

Private Landowner and CWMU Permit Holders

For those who have obtained a limited-entry landowner permit or a private CWMU permit, you have the option to surrender it. Here are the specific instructions:

  • Limited-entry private landowner permits must be surrendered before the season for which the permit was issued begins.

  • To surrender a private CWMU permit, there are two possible scenarios:

    1. Surrender your CWMU permit before the CWMU season opening dates mentioned on page 44.
    2. If you need to surrender it after the CWMU season has started but before you've actually gone hunting, both you and the CWMU operator must sign an affidavit confirming that the permit wasn't used. Both signatures on the affidavit must be notarized.
  • Once the signatures are notarized, you should submit the affidavit along with the unused permit to the Division.

Obtaining a Refund

Refunds for permits, licenses, or certificates of registration are rarely issued by the Division, but there are exceptions. To determine if you are eligible for a refund, please visit

A reminder: If you are indeed eligible for a refund, you must submit all the required forms and accompanying paperwork within 90 days of the season ending in order to qualify for a full refund.

Exchanging a Permit

You have the option to exchange your general-season buck deer permit for one that is available in another unit, provided that it's for the same species and sex. For instance, you can exchange a buck deer permit for a different buck deer permit but not for a bull elk permit.

Additionally, you can exchange your general-season bull elk permit for another available general-season bull elk permit. For instance, you could swap an any bull elk permit for a spike bull elk permit if it's available.

You may also exchange a general-season bull elk permit to obtain an available bull elk permit for a different weapon type. For example, you could exchange a general-season any legal weapon bull elk permit for a general-season archery bull elk permit. However, these exchanges must be conducted at a Division office before the season opening date specified on the original permit. Please note that a $10 handling fee applies for permit exchanges.

Duplicate Licenses

If your unexpired license or permit is damaged, lost, or stolen, you can obtain a duplicate from a Division office or a license agent for $10 or half of the price of the original license or permit, whichever is less.

If you were drawn for a license or permit but never received it, the Division may waive the fee that would typically be required to get a duplicate.

Additionally, you have the option to use the Utah Hunting and Fishing app to legally carry hunting or combination licenses on a phone or tablet for all the members of your family. To download the app, please visit

Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.