Accessing State Recreation Lands & Water Sites in Washington

Overview of Parking Pass Requirements

For parking on state recreation lands in Washington, anglers, hunters, and other visitors must use either the WDFW Vehicle Access Pass or the Washington State Discover Pass.

WDFW Vehicle Access Pass (VAP)

  • Inclusion: Most annual hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses include a complimentary Vehicle Access Pass.
  • Usage: Valid at WDFW wildlife areas and water access sites.
  • Restriction: This pass is only applicable to WDFW managed lands.

Washington State Discover Pass

  • Application: Necessary for parking at recreational properties owned or managed by Washington State Parks or the Department of Natural Resources.
  • Versatility: Also valid on WDFW managed lands.
  • Contribution: Revenue from the Discover Pass aids in the maintenance and operation of state recreation lands.

Where to Purchase

  • Online: Purchase fishing and hunting licenses (including VAP) at and at Discover Pass 
  • Phone: Call 360-902-2464 for licenses and VAP; 866-320-9933 for the Discover Pass.
  • Retail Outlets: Licenses and passes are available at retail vendors. Find a list at Discover Passes can be bought at state parks and parks system offices.

Displaying Your Parking Pass

  • Visibility Requirement: When parked on state recreation lands, the pass must be visibly displayed from outside the vehicle.
  • Transferability: Both passes can be transferred between two vehicles.
  • Usage Limitation: A single pass can only be used on one vehicle at a time.

State Recreation Lands & Water Access Sites

Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.