How to Find Regulations for Specific Waters

To find regulations for specific waters, follow these steps:

  1. Review Statewide Regulations:

    • Start by reviewing the Statewide Regulations for general fishing guidelines.
    • Keep in mind that there are exceptions to these regulations.
  2. Check Exceptions to Statewide Regulations:

    • Refer to the Exceptions to Statewide Regulations for each drainage area on the Area 1 Regulations.
    • Organize your search by the five Drainage Areas depicted on the provided map.
    • Locate the Drainage Area corresponding to your location on the map and proceed to that page.
    • Pay attention to the table of Creel and Possession Limits for your Area, noting any differences from Statewide Creel Limits.
  3. Identify Specific Regulations:

    • Look for the drainage area or specific water you intend to fish, listed alphabetically and numbered.
    • Specific regulations for each water will be provided, including any exceptions indicated by yellow, blue, or black dots on the maps.
    • Review regulations highlighted in YELLOW boxes for drainage areas, and locate relevant locations (numbers) on maps for stream and other exceptions.
  4. Review Additional Resources:

    • Double-check Statewide Regulations for any additional details or clarifications.
    • If you have questions or need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact regional or statewide offices using the provided contact information.

Additional Information

  • Yellowstone National Park Fishing Regulations:

    • A Yellowstone National Park fishing permit is mandatory for fishing within the park boundaries.
    • Note that a state fishing license is not required.
    • Detailed regulations can be found online or by contacting 307-733-7381.
  • Wind River Tribal Reservation Fishing Regulations:

    • Traveling within or on the boundaries of the Wind River Indian Reservation requires possession of a Wind River Tribal Fishing/Trespass Permit.
    • Obtain tribal fishing regulations at or by calling 307-332-7207.

Contact Information

  • Drainage Area Offices:

    • Contact the respective drainage area offices for assistance with specific regulations and inquiries.
  • Statewide Information:

    • For general inquiries or further assistance, reach out to the WGFD Telephone Information Center at the provided contact details.
Wild Advisor Pro


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.